McGahey The TobacconistMcGahey The Tobacconist
1-2 Monmouth Hill
Nothing, not even the savage blitz on Exeter in May 1942, has been able to stop the continuous service to the smoking public in the South West, by McGahey's. The family business was established in 1880 - since that date there have been three generations of McGaheys at the helm. Edgar McGahey saw the business through the war years, at one point relocating to a garden shed at the bottom of his garden in Barnfield Road.
The business returned to High Street almost on the same site as the former shop in 1955, the year in which Edgar McGahey died. Michael, who had been in business since 1942, steered the business through the next period of it's history. Whilst 245 High Street remained true to its policy of specialisation the company expanded into prominently placed kiosks in London Inn Square, Princesshay and Heavitree.
In 1973 Martin joined the firm and father and son continued the traditions. In March 1988 they carried out a complete refit of 245 High Street - striking a balance between a conventional image and modern shop fitting technique.
As specialists they stock a comprehensive range of most of the well known names in pipes,cigarettes, tobaccos, cigars and snuff, displayed in profusion with a wide range of brands. They also have two walk in humidors, one positioned in the shop with a large select of Havana cigars with the second humidor behind the scenes with bulk stock.
On the 6th March 2019 the High Street shop closed, marking the start of a new era of McGahey’s, moving away from the High Street shop into the online and mail order world.
The team at McGahey’s have worked hard to produce a simple, easy to use website which shows the range of stock.
Subscribe to our newsletter for the latest news from the world of Havana cigars including new releases and upcoming UK cigar events.