McGahey The TobacconistEX4 3NZ
245 High Street
Nothing, not even the savage blitz on Exeter in May 1942, has been able to stop the continuous service to the smoking public in the South West, by McGahey's. The family business was established in 1880 - since that date there have been three generations of McGaheys at the helm. Edgar McGahey saw the business through the war years, at one point relocating to a garden shed at the bottom of his garden in Barnfield Road.
The business returned to High Street almost on the same site as the former shop in 1955, the year in which Edgar McGahey died. Michael, who had been in business since 1942, steered the business through the next period of it's history. Whilst 245 High Street remained true to its policy of specialisation the company expanded into prominently placed kiosks in London Inn Square, Princesshay and Heavitree.
In 1973 Martin joined the firm and father and son continued the traditions. In March 1988 they carried out a complete refit of 245 High Street - striking a balance between a conventional image and modern shop fitting technique.
As specialists they stock a comprehensive range of most of the well known names in pipes,cigarettes, tobaccos, cigars and snuff, displayed in profusion with a wide range of brands. They also have two walk in humidors, one positioned in the shop with a large select of Havana cigars with the second humidor behind the scenes with bulk stock.
They also operate across three websites:
www.the-tobacconist.co.uk , www.cigar-merchant.com and www.tobaccoland.co.uk
The first of these is a complete tobacconist’s selection while Cigar Merchant specialises in Hand Made cigars and Tobaccoland in the home for Loose tobacco.
In July 2007 they opened a Street café on the site, here customers can enjoy their newly purchased cigars along with an excellent Espresso and glass of water and watch the world go by.
Just over 5 years again Michael died but the generations move on as Paul, Martin’s son, join the business in 2009.